River Yare – Brundall to Langley Dyke
The river through Brundall is one of the most developed areas of the Broads with boat building businesses and holiday homes. After Brundall the river becomes more open with views over the fen to carr woodland. Further downstream are extensive grazing marshes with big skies and views down to the sugar beet factory at Cantley.
On the left are a number of boatyards including Broom Boats. The old riverside shop beside the bungalow at Tidecraft’s old yard was demolished a few years ago to make way for new moorings but the distinctive bungalow is still here.
The Riverside Estate at Brundall is a hive of activity, it grew up in the late 19th century although it has been suggested that the Romans could have been building boats here well before the end of the 4th Century.
Brooms of Brundall are probably the most well known boat yard on the Yare. It was after acquiring the Brundall based Norfolk Broads Yachting Company in 1898 that Charles John Broom started the Broom business. They started hiring sailing boats in 1912 and offered ‘skippers’ to sail the boats and do the chores. After a long absence Brooms are again hiring boats through the Hoseasons agency for the 2013 season.
The chalets and holiday homes along the riverside estate were developed much later, from the 1930’s onwards. Many can be hired for a week or short break through one of the local booking agencies.
The main village of Brundall is on the hill a 15 minute walk away from the river. Business include a Co-op supermarket open from 6am to 10pm, a Fish & Chip shop and various take-aways.
Brundall Station, The Yare pub and East Hills Café Bistro are at the foot of the hill below the village. Regular trains to and from Norwich serve both Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
On the opposite bank is Coldham Hall, it first opened its doors to customers in 1820 and has close associations with the sailing club of the same name situated next to it. The hall has gone through many changes over the years and has been recently refurbished by its current owners, winning a number of accolades since it reopened. The hall’s lovely gardens overlooking the river include a sculpture of a seated wherryman. Opening hours are Monday –
At one time a foot ferry operated here, Harry Last who had a boat building business at Coldham Hall ran it for many years. Prospective passengers wishing to cross from Brundall would ring the bell on the jetty to beckon over the ferryman.
At the end of Brundall reach on the left is is Hobroughs Dyke, a distinctive new property, Flag House marks the entrance. The dyke is home to the hire bases of Silverline Marine and NYA Private Charter. Moorings for hire cradft are available at Silverline, space permitting. The adjacent dyke allows access to Brundall Marina, no hire boats are allowed.
The river scenery changes on leaving Brundall, becoming more open with a mixture of fen and carr woodland. On the left is Strumpshaw Fen, the reserve is open all year and is a pleasant 30 minute walk from Brundall station.
There is a water ski zone from here to Buckenham Ferry.
On the right set back from the river is Wheatfen the home of the Ted Ellis Trust.
On the left up ahead is Strumpshaw Steam Pump House, one of the best of its type still surviving on the broads. On the right before the pump house is Fleet Dyke, which leads to Rockland Broad.
Fleet Dyke is narrow with a 3 MPH speed limit but it soon opens out onto Rockland Broad. On the right is a channel leading to Wheatfen Broad, this is very shallow and not navigable for hire craft.
Rockland Broad is very shallow keep to the marked channel across the broad. On the right is Boat Dyke leading to Rockland Staithe and around the dolphin to the left is Short Dyke, which leads back onto the Yare. The Broads Authority have provided new moorings for up to 15 boats at Rockland Short Dyke. Access to the New Inn and Rockland St Mary is via the footpath along Short Dyke and around Rockland Broad.
Boat Dyke is very narrow, you should proceed dead slow past the moored boats until the head of the dyke is reached at Rockland Staithe. There are stern-
Rockland Broad is home to a wherry graveyard aptly named The Slaughters. As you crossed the broad you may have noticed little islands on the western side with trees growing out of them. They are in fact wherries sunk there after the Second World War, their timbers can still be seen at low tide.
Rockland St Mary
Rockland Staithe is at the head of Boat Dyke and has stern on moorings for about 7 boats. Water is not available but there is an electrical hook-
The Wherryman’s Way leads from Rockland Staithe along a footpath around the southern end of Rockland Broad to Short Dyke. There are extensive views from the footpath over Rockland Marshes towards the Yare. Over in Long Wood is an owl box, one of two erected by Rockland Wildfowlers Association. You may be lucky enough to see one of the Barn Owls hunting for prey over the marshes. Nearer to Short dyke is the RSPB bird hide over looking the broad. Birds spotted include Marsh Harriers, Hobbies, Red Kite and Osprey.
The broad catches the late evening sun, the footpath around the broad makes an ideal place for photographers to capture the sunset over Rockland Broad. A bench at the end of Short Dyke is an ideal place to sit and watch the sun go down.
A 7 mile circular walk from the staithe, part of the Wherryman’s Way, leads past The Ted Ellis Trust’s Wheatfen Nature Reserve to Coldham Hall returning via the ruins of St Saviour’s church at Surlingham. The reserve at Wheatfen is open throughout the year, there is no charge for entry however donations are welcome.
The Post Office Stores in Rockland St Mary is a 20 minute walk from the staithe. Turn right past the New Inn and up the hill.
Exit Rockland Broad via either Fleet Dyke or Short Dyke back onto the River Yare. Turn left for Brundall right for Cantley.
The river meanders towards Buckenham Ferry with extensive views over the marshes towards Buckenham Church and beyond to the sugar beet factory at Cantley.
On the right at Carleton St Peter is the Beauchamp Arms site of the Buckenham Ferry. Adjacent to the pub is a boatyard and the Buckenham Sailing Club. Moorings are available at the pub for patrons.
The Beauchamp Arms is set on a bend in the River Yare it offers moorings for patrons and a pleasant outside seating area over looking the river.
A horse ferry operated here until the 1940’s, on the Buckenham side stood the ferry house, the staithe and house has long since been demolished. A little further downstream is the Buckenham Ferry Drainage Mill. It was originally a four storey red brick built mill dating from 1823. A steam driven pump replaced it but no signs of it remain.
Shortly on the left past Buckenham Drainage Mill is Fleet Dyke (un-
The river meanders gently through Buckenham and Cantley Marshes, shortly on the right is Langley Dyke, 2 miles below Buckenham.